Tuesday, July 26, 2011

New Job Managing Social Media

Hope you guys don't mind if I talk a little business today, because I've got some cool news. In addition to the creative writing tutor job I posted about a while ago, I've been hired to do social media management for a company with an upcoming mobile app for Broadway lovers called Broadway Baby. I'll be managing their blog, updating once or twice a week with company news and feedback/interviews from customers and users. I'll also do daily updates on their Twitter account, manage their Facebook fan page, LinkedIn company profile, and launch their Google+ account when that becomes available. So basically what I've been doing for myself for years.

I talk about social media here sometimes, because we all know that in today's publishing world we writers basically have to take care of the marketing and publicity ourselves. For businesses and writers, that mostly means social media. The days of sitting back and expecting your agent and publisher to take care of you are gone. It is my opinion that part of being a writer is learning everything you can about social media and teaching yourself how to use it to its fullest potential. You get out what you put in.

That's okay with me, actually, because I find social media fascinating. I absolutely adore the possibilities of interacting and communicating with other people, lots of other people, people all over the world, in as many ways as possible. I've come to realize lately though that this attitude isn't the norm, particularly with writers. Many of us are shy, intimidated by how huge social media has become and how crazy it is, and would just rather focus on the actual writing. I can understand all of that. But like I said, this whole big scary time-consuming social media monster has become an undeniable part of our job.

Basically, smart writers will address social media in one way or another, and huzzah hooray kaboom, I have time for one, maybe two more clients :) Since you're clearly spending at least some time reading blogs, that's probably a pretty good sign that you're doing a good job with the marketing/networking thing yourself. But if you're not, if you would like to turn this all over to someone else, or know someone (writer or businessy person) who would, don't hesitate to get in touch. Then we can get specific. I'm offering the same service: blog, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+ all taken care of. I've been doing all this for myself for a long time, like I said, so I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing.

One little note, before I'm through: I'm really not crazy, I promise, even if this sounds like it. I solemnly swear I am not biting off more than I can chew. For reals, though, this is me working out a schedule of exactly enough to keep me alive and writing. Off to the novel, and I hope you're all having a fantabulous summer!

Sarah Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment